Go Back   4x4 Earth > Model Specific Tech > Toyota > 100 Series

Find a Mechanic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2013, 06:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
4x4 Earth Member
Member no. 18200

Default Drive Shaft/Tail Shaft

Gday all...

Quick question: Is there the potential for any damage to either the transfer case and/or front diff if I remove the front tail shaft and continue driving the car?

Car is a 100 series cruiser...

Reason I ask is I want to 'feel' the drive of the car before I think about getting a part time 4wd kit but don't want to risk any damage to the components of the 'full time' set up in the cruiser... and i spose the easiest way to test that is take the front tail shaft off and drive it around for a few days....

Cheers,
Matt
Mullos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
4x4 Earth Pro
Member no. 26036

I think it should be fine as I've been with ppl who have taken in off when there've broken something

My play toy
Basejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 02:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
4x4 Earth Champion
Member no. 2046

You would have to lock your centre diff.

Otherwise there is no reason why you can't do it.

Cheers

Justin
Old 12-03-2013, 02:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
4x4 Earth Superstar
Member no. 36207

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullos View Post
Gday all...

Quick question: Is there the potential for any damage to either the transfer case and/or front diff if I remove the front tail shaft and continue driving the car?

Car is a 100 series cruiser...

Reason I ask is I want to 'feel' the drive of the car before I think about getting a part time 4wd kit but don't want to risk any damage to the components of the 'full time' set up in the cruiser... and i spose the easiest way to test that is take the front tail shaft off and drive it around for a few days....

Cheers,
Matt
why do you want to do the part time mod. most of the time its only done if the centre diff is buggered and its cheaper to do after market stuff. the all wheel drive offers you the identical abuility off road with cdl in as a part time with hubs locked. and when not engauged you have the added advantage of all wheel drive in rain etc on a hard road where a convetional part time 4x4 cant use 4x4. you have the best of both worlds now . why give your advantage away? In bad weather on highway situations you will regrete your choice to go part time 4x4 mod. My all wheel drive was a huge advantage living in darwin with water often all over the road . it was also fatastic for black ice on the road while i was living in wadonga nsw. Its crazy to give that safty up.

Last edited by muc the truck : 12-03-2013 at 03:05 PM.
muc the truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
4x4 Earth Champion
Member no. 2046

Quote:
Originally Posted by muc the truck View Post
why do you want to do the part time mod. most of the time its only done if the centre diff is buggered and its cheaper to do after market stuff. the all wheel drive offers you the identical abuility off road with cdl in as a part time with hubs locked. and when not engauged you have the added advantage of all wheel drive in rain etc on a hard road where a convetional part time 4x4 cant use 4x4. you have the best of both worlds now . why give your advantage away? In bad weather on highway situations you will regrete your choice to go part time 4x4 mod. My all wheel drive was a huge advantage living in darwin with water often all over the road . it was also fatastic for black ice on the road while i was living in wadonga nsw. Its crazy to give that safty up.
I find I'm agreeing with you a lot!

Cheers

Justin
Old 13-03-2013, 05:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
4x4 Earth Member
Member no. 18200

Can I ask why you'd need to lock the centre diff mate?

Don't get me wrong... I love the fact I have full time 4wd - what I don't love is the amount of play in the transfer case and box, along with the wear n tear on the front end..
I just wanted to feel how the cruiser runs in 2wd, that's all, and didn't want to damage anything by removing the front tail shaft and driving it for a day or 3

Cheers for the replies.

Matt
Old 13-03-2013, 07:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
4x4 Earth Champion
Member no. 2046

Quote:

Don't get me wrong... I love the fact I have full time 4wd - what I don't love is the amount of play in the transfer case and box, along with the wear n tear on the front end..
I just wanted to feel how the cruiser runs in 2wd, that's all, and didn't want to damage anything by removing the front tail shaft and driving it for a day or 3

Cheers for the replies.

Matt
If you remove the front drive shaft and don't lock the centre diff you won't go anywhere.

It will just try and drive the shaft that's not there as that will be the path of least resistance.

No different to a normal open diff. It's just front to rear not side to side.

Cheers

Justin
Old 13-03-2013, 11:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
4x4 Earth Member
Member no. 18200

Ahhhh gotcha! Makes sense now

Thanks mate
Old 14-03-2013, 10:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
4x4 Earth Superstar
Member no. 36207

Quote:

Cheers for the replies.

Matt
I have found extensive play in lots of 4x4 that owners thought it was a new tcase required. The first thing you should do is rebuild swivel hubs and replace ever single universal . (90% of the time this cures backlash /play problems) I have been at the other end of a cranky customer that was perswaded by some one else to do the part time trick only to find the back lash was still there he felt quiet ripped off , a few universals and swivel rebuilds along with 16 new swivel studs was all he needed.

Last edited by muc the truck : 14-03-2013 at 10:28 AM.
muc the truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2013, 10:51 AM   #10 (permalink)
4x4 Earth Guru
Member no. 13945

I agree with Muc.
I had my 80 series fitted with the avm part time kit about 4yrs ago and wish id never done it.
The 4b feels alot less stable especially on wet rds and on general dirt rds where I now get out to lock the front diff in to regain the stability and sure footedness offered by a full time 4wd.

I also have a 100 series that is full time and the difference is remarkable, the 4b feels alot safer on all rd surfaces and ( maybe im getting old ) but I don't have to get out to engage the front diff.

People say you get better economy from the partime kit but it's very marginal, they also say it reduces wear and tear on the front driveline but the 4b was designed to be full time, by taking that away your sending all the driveline stress to the rear, sure it can handle it but overall your 4b will be better for it in the long run keeping the full time 4wd.

Haveing a part time kit fitted to a full time 4wd is taking a step back in time and technolagy in my opinion.
This is just what iv experienced from both my trucks, im sure people that have had the kit fitted will have a different opinion to mine but for me, go the full time any day of the week.

105 series:
With a few goodies.:
80lover96gxl is online now   Reply With Quote