Tigerz Awning Review

Swaggie

Hiya

Lets get straight into it,I bought this Tigerz Awning over the net on one of there many specials.At that stage about 2 months ago you could not pick it up from the factory directly.So an $8 handling fee and about $20 delivery made it just under $200.From what i understand you can pick it up directly at the factory now so saving about $28...

Right i decided on the 2.0 metre length (along your vehicle) and 2.5 metres out from the vehicle.I would recommend you get 2.5 metres by 2.5 metres if your vehicle will take it..

It was delivered like this:

Tigerz%2520Delivered.JPG

Tigerz%2520dimentions.JPG

Parts%2520Bag.JPG

Ok the brackets were Mig welded to my Lowline roof-rack,may i say the brackets are very sturdy:

Tigerz%2520Brackets%2520Welded%2520to%2520roofrack.JPG

Added 5th Dec:

Awning%2520Bolted%2520to%2520Rooftop.JPG

Bolted the 6 bolts and 6 nuts to the brackets,no issues at all..(If you mig weld to another piece of steel make sure you still leave the room for the holes and enough for the bolt on the other side)..Also the head of the Bolts sits into the channel of the aluminum,that's what holds the Awning on apart from the nut..

Tigerz%2520Canopy%2520In%2520Heavy%2520Duty%2520Canopy.JPG

Lock%2520on%2520Zips.JPG

Ok unzip the zip and the awning is held there by two velcro strips to stop the awning just falling out..

Tigerz%2520canopy%2520unzipped.JPG

Ok undo the strips and unroll the Awning all the way out..

extendable%2520poles%2520hidden%2520under%2520rebate.JPG

Now turn over the Aluminum piece and you'll see the two poles in the recess,Take out and extend to about chest height.Especially if windy i find putting the two back on an angle towards the vehicle helps...If there are two persons available use this option first..

extendable%2520poles%2520at%2520other%2520end%2520of%2520awning.JPG

pull%2520out%2520from%2520channel.JPG

put%2520on%2520angle%2520if%2520by%2520myself.JPG

on%2520angle%2520for%2520wind.JPG

Next thing is too get the two top poles back to the other end of the aluminum end piece:

Rooftop%2520Side%2520Poles.JPG

top%2520side%2520potter%2520in%2520hole.JPG

Tie%2520off%2520awning%2520to%2520a%2520peg.JPG

Straps%2520to%2520hold%2520top%2520of%2520canvas%2520awning.JPG

Once tied off it should look like this:

Ready%2520to%2520rock%2520n%2520roll.JPG

one%2520side%2520lower.JPG

Up%2520and%2520finished.JPG

Also from what i can see,at the other end of the Awning the channel has the same side as the ripstop canvas has been slid into..So i gather if you get another piece from somewhere you'd could do the end bit to the ground to shade against wind etc..

End%2520Piece.JPG

Make sure your awning is sloping away from your vehicle,People even slope one side lower to collect water using a bucket..Also make sure its fully pegged down well at all times..If it all takes off in the wind its possible to break the knuckle etc etc and your awning will fly over your vehicle possibly causing further damage..Pic below..

top%2520side%2520knuckle.JPG

This pictures shows up a manufacturer fault i guess,I will let tigerz know and see what they say..It may be ok...

this%2520maybe%2520of%2520concern.JPG

So ive only used it once.So time will tell.I am impressed with what you get for your buck.It also has an option to turn it into a MOSQUITO NET to protect you from them.

MOSQUITO NET SIDE AWNING 2M X 2.5M

With netting, thanks Brian ;)

21444d1378441340-tigerz-awning-review-uploadfromtaptalk1378441389235.jpg

25421d1397339148-tigerz-awning-review-imgp7030-medium-.jpg

Thanks Itchys50

So GOODLUCK with your choice of Awning out there,hope ive given you some decent info..

If ive missed something i will add it as time goes by..

Update 14th Dec:

Canopy%2520Bone%2520Dry.JPG

OK Ive tested this Awning as there was mention that the Awning Cover let water in.Well it was raining for nearly 2 days and last night i went down and opened it up and everything is bone dry,front,back sides etc...So there maybe one more test,if I'm driving along in the rain will the speed of the vehicle force rain past the stitching..I dont think so but will look next time i am in this situation..So far its passed all the boxes..

Update: 6th Jan 2013..

Decided to do a quick few days East of Dargo (Owen Wallers Hut,Friday Spur Track,Mt Steve Track etc etc)
The first trip with this Awning..Went along a few tracks that were overgrown too.A couple of times we noticed that branches had wedged in between the Awning and the Roof-rack..One i had to get out pliers to get the branch out with help.Not once did it rip the outer cover of the Awning..

Camping in the afternoon without protection from the 35degree Sun the missus said how'd we ever go without this,its fantastic..I suppose we would move on to an area with shade..Thats why whatever brand you do buy there so popular..

One issue we did have is one of the end extension poles would just spin around and not tighten up,I found if you pull it right off and re-do it will tighten straight away...

Something else i noticed also..The Sun rises in the East and sets in the West..So you think the Morning Sun isn't the hottest so i will put it facing West..Well as the Sun lowers you lose shade space doing it like this and plenty of it..So my advice would be to set it facing East all the time..When the Sun drops the Vehicle produces shade till the Awning comes into affect...

(As you see in this pic the Sun is lets say 12 o'clock above our heads,the Awning is facing West.As it goes to the right over the river 2-5 o'clock that lovely shade creeps back too the vehicle,losing a lot of shade)..Unless you want to run a Tarp towards the pegs and rope will fix it)...

Update

Member Les PK Ranger found he needed extra rivets in his awning support rail stating If you have an Ironman or other such awning it may apply.

http://www.4x4earth.com.au/forum/camping-equipment/16657-commercial-awning-problem.html

My last update will be camping in the rain,doesn't look like anytime soon...lol

Note:
These Reviews i write are from my own Camping Gear that i have bought over the years that i have used and paid in full...Ive decided to write these reports so my fellow 4x4Earthers can make a valid choice on what gear to buy whether it be of high grade quality or poor quality.

Last edited:

ross and cher

good write up, looks very similar to the ARB model we have used and abused for three years now, will be very interesting to see how this model holds up to use.

80lover96gxl

Good write up mate, looks priddy good apart from the small manfacturing fault, get onto em about that.
Iv got the mozzie/fly net with mine, had it 3 yrs now and have'nt used the net yet, might come in handy oneday, it's the 2.5 long by 2.0 out from the vehicle.
Mine pegs into the ground at the bottom of the legs, has a rope loop incorperated into the bottom of the foot that the peg goes thru, quite handy as I find myself often tripping over peg ropes after a few sherbets.
I made an extension for mine from a caravan annex canvas roof, same dimemsions as the awning and attaches to it using the same method as fitting the fly net room, stretch it out and use two tent poles and ropes to hold the other end up doubling my coverage area, or remove the poles and peg that end to the ground for a wind break, missus loves it.
I paid $400 for mine, $250 for the awning and $150 for the netting room from arb in morphett vale sa, not a bad price I thought.
Hope it serves you well mate.

cheers,
Brian.

Last edited:

devo73

Banned
Great review Swaggie, especially the tip to always tie the awning down. Made that mistake once and as you said the slightest wind broke the hard "knuckles".

Have had mine for 6 months now and used plenty of times. I agree get the 2.5 along the car, mine is only 2m x 2.5 out and i should have gone bigger. Definately got my moneys worth tho and its always kept me dry in the swag but the quality IMO is average.

The cover, while PVC is not waterproof and after any rain i have to erect the awning to dry and prevent mildew. Always plenty of moisture in there.
As i said i have broken the 2 knuckles attaching the side arms to the car and 1 from the front leg. To be fair though i should have tied it down even tho it was a calm day. 1 small gust and bang. Replaced with some hardwood broom handle inserted into tubing, perfect fit and now much stronger ;) Wont break again.
The actual awning material seems good quality (i would say the same as ARB but thats where the similarities end) and as i said has kept me dry.
The join where the top side poles (pic 14 from top) slot into the holes is very weak. Both the pole "spike" and the flat piece it goes through bend very easily.

Good luck with yours Swaggie, and remember those broom handles...you might need them ;)

DoctorJ

G'day Swaggie great review, Tigerz11 are actually pretty good with faults I had an issue with a swag and they sent out the bits without a quibble, admittedly I was preparing myself for a tussle due to them being a discount supplier but was pleasantly pleased, good luck trying to get through though as they don't man the phones that well

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Just check your mounting plates, where they sandwich the awning and cover between the 2 main ali extrusions . . . http://www.4x4earth.com.au/forum/camping-equipment/16657-commercial-awning-problem.html

There's a lot of downward twisting pressure, and most of the awnings I've seen only have the pop rivets along the bottom half of the channel, leaving it with potential to fail.

Yeah, do watch the wind . . . had mine set up on Nora Criena beach down the SE last Christmas, went for a walk with the missus, and came back to the awning blown up over the roof !
No major problems, a bit of straightening at home where it was reefed right over, but nothing broke.

I plan to do something similar to Brians (80lover96gxl) ARB setup, no more ropes out, just have some loops on the bottom of the 2 poles, and peg directly into the ground, or tie 2 bags filled with sand to the loops when on the beach trips (this Xmas down to the SE beaches again, yay).

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
The cover, while PVC is not waterproof and after any rain i have to erect the awning to dry and prevent mildew. Always plenty of moisture in there.

You could try sealing it like we seam seal tents . . . I did my Ironman vinyl cover, and it's pretty good.

As with bushwalking tents, you can seam seal by mixing clear neutral cure silicone with Shellite fuel (white Spirits), probably only need 1/4 cup of silicone, add Shellite and stir with a stick until it's a nice fairly thin brushable mix.
Kinda like hot oil dripping off ya dipstick type of consistancy.

I unrolled the awning and left it down beside the vehicle, turned the bag inside out, brushed it liberally where all the stitching is, left to dry overnight.

Turn right way again, roll up awning, zip away, then neatly brush the stitching on the outside at ends of cover.

Of course if awning is used in the rain, or driving in heavy sustained rain, it's always a good idea to air out and dry thoroughly anyway.

Swaggie

As i said i have broken the 2 knuckles attaching the side arms to the car and 1 from the front leg. To be fair though i should have tied it down even tho it was a calm day. 1 small gust and bang. Replaced with some hardwood broom handle inserted into tubing, perfect fit and now much stronger ;) Wont break again.

Good luck with yours Swaggie, and remember those broom handles...you might need them ;)

Thats interesting Devo and i will keep an eye on it...I usually keep a broom stick about that i whack the missus with if dinner isnt cooked by 5 oclock....lmao...(more like the other way around lol)...

Thanks Les for your comments and seem sealer could be the go....

Thankyou to everyone for your kind comments.. Cheers

Rocker

Great Review swaggie.

For the price, I couldn't go past it and bought 2 of the 2.5 long x 2.0 out (one for each side) and one of the mossie nets to suit. Yet to fit but I'm taking note of the potential short falls and suggested fixes.

Thanks Gents

Swaggie

Great Review swaggie.

For the price, I couldn't go past it and bought 2 of the 2.5 long x 2.0 out (one for each side) and one of the mossie nets to suit. Yet to fit but I'm taking note of the potential short falls and suggested fixes.

Thanks Gents

Cheers Bud..

03hilux

4x4 Earth Contributer
Thats probably the best review of an item i have seen for ages Swaggie. with no bias in the review, you couldnt work for a magazine:D

When im ready to buy my next truck, can i send you a list of what im looking for and have you test and review them for me? PPPPLLLLEEEEEEEAAAAAASSSSSEEE:D

Swaggie

Thats probably the best review of an item i have seen for ages Swaggie. with no bias in the review, you couldnt work for a magazine:D

Ha Ha...

Thanks for the kind words mate..

Ive got alot of other camping products that will be put up shortly that i have owned personally for a few years...

When im ready to buy my next truck, can i send you a list of what im looking for and have you test and review them for me? PPPPLLLLEEEEEEEAAAAAASSSSSEEE:D

Too be honest Mate I'd be quite happy to review 4x4/camping products.Here and there..
See how i go...

Thanks once again...

Last edited:

mattyh24

thanks swaggie, an excellent review. i like the detail in the pics and descriptions. for the price you cant knock it really, 4x4 action keep emailing me deals on the awning etc. is that extra 0.5m really of benefit along the vehicle? i have arb canopy with roof bars and am concerned about the 1-1.2m front overhang ill end up with if i went for the 2.5m along the car version. (as opposed to a tradesmans rack which gives a lot more solid mounting "real estate"

Cheers,
Matt

Swaggie

thanks swaggie, an excellent review. i like the detail in the pics and descriptions. for the price you cant knock it really, 4x4 action keep emailing me deals on the awning etc. is that extra 0.5m really of benefit along the vehicle? i have arb canopy with roof bars and am concerned about the 1-1.2m front overhang ill end up with if i went for the 2.5m along the car version. (as opposed to a tradesmans rack which gives a lot more solid mounting "real estate"

Cheers,
Matt

Hiya Matt

Thanks for that and am glad its of benefit to you..I also thought about the 2.5 along the vehicle and really i didn't have anything to worry about it sticking out and being unstable..I would like one to be 2.5 length of vehicle and 2.5 out...

Anyway i have read on Forums that people that bought the 2.5 along the vehicle wished they would hav bought the 2.5 out instead..Especially if you have a swag and table and chairs you dont want wet...Yet some say they like the Awning over one door just in case they need to get into the vehicle and they stay dry.Ive yet to use it myself apart from the review so i have some more updating of the review in future...Its definitely a personal choice. Goodluck.

Cheers mate..

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Yeah, horses for courses.
It's probably easy to get used to either one, and each might have certain advantages.
Mine's an Ironman 2.5 along x 2.0 out, and am happy with that, mounted to 3 roof bars 2 right near each end, but have seen them mounted to 2, with a lot of overhang, and really that's not a big issue.

One thing worth looking at is 'Freds arm', really adds versitility from what I've seen of it.
Google it, plenty of links, here's one . . . Fred's Arm - Black Widow
Great to be able to move it to the back like that.

A person handy with DIY could make this up pretty easy.

Foxwing is another with advantages and disadvantages, I really like that on a still day, you can just put it out and cover 3/4 around your vehicle without the need for poles.
Then again, if there's a slight breeze, you need to put these out and peg down.

Another question is what side to put a a single awning on.
My natural choice (and I don't recall even thinking about this) was the left side.
There is a thread on here somewhere about that, and I think the left won out as the majority choice.

Anyway Swaggie, you'll get lots of use out of that, they're a brilliant touring accessory.

rangey308

Great report on the awning....I have been thinking about getting one of these...really appreciate the detailed report and pictures....thanks again and have a great xmas....if you are heading for the hills then enjoy.

Swaggie

Yeah thanks alot Rangey and same to you and Les..

Its just a matter of out in the field testing now..

Has that Freds Arm come down in price Les ???? I thought initially it was dearer than that...

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Has that Freds Arm come down in price Les ???? I thought initially it was dearer than that...

Mmm, not sure about that, I think the only time I saw it was once before, and it may have been a you tube vid.
Most likely has come down, initial manuafacturing cost are most times high, these come down once you start to sell more, then you have to compete with copies too.

I reckon you could make it from light guage galv rectangle tube / U section just fine.