Go Back   4x4 Earth > General 4wd Forums > D.I.Y

D.I.Y Show off your custom mods, or get some great ideas

Find a Mechanic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29-05-2013, 02:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
4x4 Earth Member
Member no. 10812

Lightbulb Gen 1 SWB Pajero Winch Install on Custom Winch Plate (Lots of Pics)

So after almost a year of owning a winch and a winch bar i decided to install it. I have some crappy 12000lbs iFORCE winch that the Father-In-Law gave me and a Gen 1 TJM Winch Bar.

Now the Winch is brand new and never been used. I have totally pulled the thing apart, re-greased and resealed everything the way it should have been done, so hopefully it will last atleast a few winches. Not really expecting much from this winch but hey it was free and brand new. Saved myself a few hundred $$$.

The TJM Winch Bar i picked up for $150 around the same time i scored the winch. I never realised till i got home that there was a sticker on the bar stating that to use a winch you must have the TJM Winch Cradle. DAMMIT!!! Why would they do this?? Oh i know. To rip the average aussie off. So sticking to Tigerz11 and Roo Systems and other companies like that.

Anyways, after almost 12months of umming and arring i finally figured out how id get this dam winch in front of the Paj. I decided to use one of those Universal Winch Plates you see all over ebay with some customising to make it fit between the chassis rails and to make it stronger.

I opted for a Tigerz11 Winch Plate and for $60 i can not complain.

Original Tigerz11 Winch Plate

So this is the Plate. Its way to wide to work with the Paj but i think they are designed this way so they will fit every vehicle with modifications. So as most of you are already aware of the front of the Gen 1 Chassis rails raise up and there is not much of a flat section to bolt the plate down to.

Front of Gen 1 Chassis Rails

So I had to mount it between the chassis rails. So i decided to get a fabricator at a mates work to do some length adjustments and weld some 6mm plate to the ends so i could bolt these to the rails.

Modified Winch Plate

Modified Winch Plate

Modified Winch Plate

Now I wanted it a little stronger then just relying on the 2x100mm M10 Grade 8.8 Bolts on each side of the plate to bolt to the Chassis Rails so i decided to get some 75mmx100mm 6mm Angle. So that the Winch Plate bolted to them on each side then through the rails.

Winch Plate with Angle attached.

Winch Plate with Angle attached.

So now there will be a total of 8 M10 Grade 8.8 High Tensile bolts holding this plate to the Chassis Rails. Over engineered??? Better safe then sorry.

Now the plan was to bolt the Bar mounts and the Winch Plate all together, so thats why i opted for the 100mm bolts to run through the Bar mounts, chassis rails, then angle then finally the winch plate. I was a little worried with how much tension and force was going to go on the chassis rails once the bolts are tight and didnt want to chance the rails collapsing in on them selves so i ordered some 15NB Med Blk (21.3mm OD x 2.6mm) Pipe to act as a crush tube.

I found this real awesome website for a steel supplier in Melbourne, where you can order and pay online and get them to cut anything you want to the exact length you need. Very well priced aswell. only cost me $15 for the 4 crush tubes and the 2 angle including cuts. They have 3 locations around Melbourne so pickup is easy and you save yourself $50 by doing that. Steel Solutions Melbourne

Crush Tubes In

Crush Tubes In

Now to get these in i had to first remove the existing nuts that were welded in the rails. I just used a cold chisel to get them out.

So i went about putting the winch plate in and the winch on.

Plate and Winch In!!

Plate and Winch In!!

So now all I gotta do is wire it up, but the bar back on and mount the control box. I will end up putting the control box in the engine bay but i need to get lugs crimped onto my cables i "scored" from my old employer! lol, but at the moment its mounted directly to the top of the bar behind the number plate.

All Wired up and Bar back on

All Wired up and Bar back on

Close Up of the installation. (Not that you can see much)

Tested the winch a few times all working and I am very happy with the overall installation. Looks very strong. I have currently got it totally disconnected from the battery as i have no isolator yet. Once i get one of these i will leave it permanently connected to the battery. Gonna install incab Winch Isolator connected to the earth of the control box and winch in and out controls.

Hope everyone enjoys my installation process. I certainly did by doing it. Started this about 12:00pm and finished about 11:00pm, stopping for about 3hours in the middle. I had to drill all the holes myself with a cordless drill as my power drill crapped itself the other week. Each hole was drilled 4 times each. 3mm / 5mm / 7.5mm / 10mm. Snapped the 10mm bilt just has the final hole was drilled. Lucky!!! 12 holes through 6mm steel and 4 holes through 4mm steel. Dam i need a Press drill!!! Hands killing me.

Enjoy some final pics.

Blak.

Current Mods: 2" body & suspension lift, 33x12.5x15 Maxxis Bighorn Muddies, Roof Rack with full basket, UHF, Spotties, Aldi Air Compressor, 2 1/2" Exhaust, Flares (Clark Rubber).
Blaknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2013, 11:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
4x4 Earth Guru
Member no. 17388

great write up mate thanks for sharing the process

I got a TJM bar as well and had heard of those mounting plates before - Wasnt sure how they worked though but now I do
prawns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2013, 11:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
4x4 Earth Guru
Member no. 6047

Hi mate great stuff... One thing I did notice though in one of the first pictures is theres a hell of a lot of rust on the rail, it might not be an issue now but I would certainly keep an eye on it.. Maybe grind it off down the track and put anti rust paint on it..

Goodluck
Old 29-05-2013, 06:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
4x4 Earth Member
Member no. 10812

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggie View Post
Hi mate great stuff... One thing I did notice though in one of the first pictures is theres a hell of a lot of rust on the rail, it might not be an issue now but I would certainly keep an eye on it.. Maybe grind it off down the track and put anti rust paint on it..

Goodluck
That caught my eye also but it's only mud. I cleaned a bit off with metho and it came up a treat.

Thanks for the concern though.

Current Mods: 2" body & suspension lift, 33x12.5x15 Maxxis Bighorn Muddies, Roof Rack with full basket, UHF, Spotties, Aldi Air Compressor, 2 1/2" Exhaust, Flares (Clark Rubber).
Blaknight is offline   Reply With Quote