Lokka Diff Locks

KAIBUTSU TORRAKU

Hi,
I'm just new to the site. I've done some four wheel driving and I am starting to tackle some more challenging tracks.

I need some more traction, but I don't have heaps of cash to spend. Can anybody give me any feedback on Lokka Diff locks and their plusses and minuses?

cruiserlad

4x4 Earth Contributer
im definately going to get a front lokka for the cruiser the price is right heaps cheaper than air lokkas and do basically the same job

cruiserlad

4x4 Earth Contributer
hey cliffy if you read this i might be needing a hand to install a lokka shortly but dont tell the minister of finace and war im more worried about the war part

frosty

4x4 Earth Contributer
Hey cruiserlad, Just be careful with locrites. I know a couple of guys over the years and had them. Those in the front have gone to air lockers. Once the front winds up, their on and that can make turning difficult on firm surfaces. It also means you have to keep getting out and disengaging at least one hub when you get on firm ground. I dont know the price diference but at least with air locks, they are on or they are off!

4X4

Locrites and Detroit Lockers are not lockers, they are actually unlockers. They are locked and unlock when you back off, allowing you to turn. If you have a Locrite in the front, you can experience "torque steer". Where it feels like the cars is pushing you straight ahead without turning. When you put a Locrite in the rear, you will have to adjust your driving style and become a less aggressive driver. For EG around a roundabout, if you back off and accelerate hard you will feel it and hear it as the dog clutch engages & disengages.

cruiserlad

4x4 Earth Contributer
guys now im a bit cofused so when you lock the hubs in the locker is engaged right but not working until u use the stubby stick so do i get torque steer when the hubs are lock but low or hi 4wd is not angaged also air;ockers are around 1800 for the kit so a can put up with some incovinance

4X4

guys now im a bit cofused so when you lock the hubs in the locker is engaged right but not working until u use the stubby stick so do i get torque steer when the hubs are lock but low or hi 4wd is not angaged also air;ockers are around 1800 for the kit so a can put up with some incovinance
The advantage of having free wheeling hubs is that the locker will only work when you lock the hubs and engage 4WD. Why would you want to lock the hubs and not engage 4WD?

Pure Yobbo

The advantage of having free wheeling hubs is that the locker will only work when you lock the hubs and engage 4WD. Why would you want to lock the hubs and not engage 4WD?

Big trip to Fraser lock in the hubs to get on the Island and only use 4x4 on the tracks and when you need to. Knock it out of 4x4 on the hard sand.... Thats what i normally do.

Same thing when I go bush lock in the hubs when you first drive in and only use 4x4 when you need to.

What does everyone else do?

Cheers

4X4

Point taken. I don't think it would be an issue. I have air lockers, so I only engage them as I need them. The disadvantage of air lockers is that you have 2 open diffs when they aren't engaged.

cruiserlad

4x4 Earth Contributer
i do exactly the same as pure yobbo why put it in 4wd unless you have to it just uses more juice and wear and tear