Century Batterys.....Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr !

Buxter

My Main you beaut "Century 4X4 Extra Heavy Duty" battery is dying, and I only had it since July.
My Axillary Battery, a you beaut "Century Deep Cycle Battery", leaks every time I do some High Country Work.
Both battery's are N70's

The Main won't hold charge, and it will drop to 12.4volts overnight with nothing hooked up. On Starting the volts drop to 11.8volts, and with a flick if the key the mighty 4.2 Diesel fires.

That will be real encouraging when I go winching, on my next trip, with Swaggie.

Warranty on these battery's is not the issue, it's "can I trust Century battery's, even with a replacement, when I go to do something that requires winching. ?

Do I swap brands ?
Do I change to an AGM ?

Do I go back to the Dealer I got them both from, and believe his crap, that "it must be me " ?

The young fellars come out and hook up a tester, and tell me it's OK , and that 12.4volts is good, even when I tell him that it has lost 50% of its power, and that he shouldn't dimiss me as a knucklehead, that I know enuf to get into trouble .

What do have other 4x4 Earth members have in their Vehicles ?
Do you have trouble with Century ?

Remember I do Outback treking and I want something super reliable
Cheers
Buxter

cloughcarib

When I had an issue with a 6month old battery(not century) I took it back to the dealer I bought it from and he did a full bench test on it and replaced it straight away. If you're not happy with the service from the 'young fellars' then maybe ask the owner to look at it. Service is seriously lacking these days and if you're not happy with the service you've received, then voice that opinion.

I have an Amaron start, and an All Rounder dual, and although the first All Rounder failed me, I'm happy with this one and the Amaron(cheapie made in India) has never failed or faltered.

Swaggie

Well mate as you know the recent Century Marine Pro i had as an Auxiliary battery leaked all over the holder after the High Country Trip in November,they said there not to be used as a 4wd battery,fair enough so they changed it for a Deep Cycle and paid the extra..Well get back from this trip and its bloody leaked again...

What i would like to know is who are these GOONS that are testing these batteries...They have changed from the flat panel to the extended panels on the top of the battery...LEAK CITY.

My last aux batt was a puma from memory,i couldn't find them again but it never leaked and lasted over 5 years,..

Yet my Century4wd hasn't leaked is about a year old and losing charge too...

Ive also noticed there coming soon website has been down for a least 6 months.....not good.

Last edited:

Swaggie

Seem it will be our first trip away, if the Century fails you gotta promise you won't take it out and shoot it... :eek:

80lover96gxl

Nearly bought another marine pro this morning but decided against it, after quizzing the salesman about the reported leaking his reply was, that only happens when you take them off rd up and down steep hills and put your 4wd on ridiculous angles that batts aren't designed to be on. So they don't leak in boats bouncing around in choppy conditions I asked,,no if course not was his reply.
So I walked out with my cash in my pocket now on a mission to find myself another 2nd batt for the hundy.
No more century batts for me.

Swaggie

. So they don't leak in boats bouncing around in choppy conditions I asked,,no if course not was his reply..

Lmao, yep heard the same rubbish... I'd get a sealed one for starters Brian...

Although my Century4wd batt hasn't leaked at all.... Just the marine pro and deep cycle.

Campin40

Well reading this post got me thinkin. What battery is in my car? I can't remember. So off I go a pop the hood and there it is a century n770 4wd battery.

Ok so I've had no problems with it. No hard to start. No signs of leaking. Volt meter reads correctly on dash or a least I think it does.

So I think, maybe I should pull out the plugs and have a gander inside it. Well, every single cell was bone dry!! That can't be good. So how can it still hold charge. Well I filled with it with almost 2.5 liters off water and started the car and now letting run for a bit to see what happens.

80lover96gxl

Lmao, yep heard the same rubbish... I'd get a sealed one for starters Brian...

Although my Century4wd batt hasn't leaked at all.... Just the marine pro and deep cycle.

Yeah I couldn't really listen to his crap any longer so thought it better to say thankyou and goodbye before I told him he was full of shyte.:eek:;)

The marine pro and overlander in the 80 have never leaked, not once over some steep country, not sure if it's luck or the batts not being filled entirely to the top, as they shouldn't be, I fill em to about an inch from the top but not sure if this makes a difference or not. :what::what:

Anyway time to find another make of batt.:rolleyes:

80lover96gxl

Well reading this post got me thinkin. What battery is in my car? I can't remember. So off I go a pop the hood and there it is a century n770 4wd battery.

Ok so I've had no problems with it. No hard to start. No signs of leaking. Volt meter reads correctly on dash or a least I think it does.

So I think, maybe I should pull out the plugs and have a gander inside it. Well, every single cell was bone dry!! That can't be good. So how can it still hold charge. Well I filled with it with almost 2.5 liters off water and started the car and now letting run for a bit to see what happens.

Lol, that cant be good:p lets hope they don't start leaking now you've topped em up.:D

muc the truck

My Main you beaut "Century 4X4 Extra Heavy Duty" battery is dying, and I only had it since July.
My Axillary Battery, a you beaut "Century Deep Cycle Battery", leaks every time I do some High Country Work.
Both battery's are N70's

The Main won't hold charge, and it will drop to 12.4volts overnight with nothing hooked up. On Starting the volts drop to 11.8volts, and with a flick if the key the mighty 4.2 Diesel fires.

That will be real encouraging when I go winching, on my next trip, with Swaggie.

Warranty on these battery's is not the issue, it's "can I trust Century battery's, even with a replacement, when I go to do something that requires winching. ?

Do I swap brands ?
Do I change to an AGM ?

Do I go back to the Dealer I got them both from, and believe his crap, that "it must be me " ?

The young fellars come out and hook up a tester, and tell me it's OK , and that 12.4volts is good, even when I tell him that it has lost 50% of its power, and that he shouldn't dimiss me as a knucklehead, that I know enuf to get into trouble .

What do have other 4x4 Earth members have in their Vehicles ?
Do you have trouble with Century ?

Remember I do Outback treking and I want something super reliable
Cheers
Buxter

here is was thinking I had a once in a blue moon dud century battery seems like a dud make now . my Century Deep Cycle Battery has leaked acid all over the car , causing rust . its less than 12 months old and it only has a six month warranty. mine leaks out the vents , its not over charging and there is no reason for it other than its stuffed already.

will never buy another.

BUSHNUT

Have never had a Century battery , always been an Exide man , comes from the days when I was on the farm with the tractors . In the days before thei farm got connected to 240 power , we had a 40 volt lighting plant generated to a floor of batteries from a single banger diesel generator .
In previous vehicles I have had a normal cranking battery ( Exide heavy duty ) and auxiliary being 1/2 cranking, 1/2 deep cycle ( you get a 2 year warranty on these ) haven't had to claim on these yet . Present main battery in the D Max hasn't died yet but when it does in goes an Exide , haven't given me a reason to change yet .

Buxter

Chatting to "a person I know" (quiet Swaggie) who also has a Champion You Beaut 4x4battery, and suprise suprise, not only is it too has A Century 4x4sticker, it's maintenance free. Not so apparently he checks his every 2nd day, and even does the Hydrometer thing.

He claims to have figured out the maintenance free bit,
"He does the maintenance, and it's done free for Century"
As we chatted he stated that the huge majority of Mine Vehicles run AC Delco Battery's
Not Century.
"My God..... What have I said"
Have I blassfeemed ? (Spelling.....DILLIGAF !)

Seriously there must be a good reason why vehicles working in the toughest parts of Oz run AC Delco Battery's ?
Cheers Buxter

Last edited:

Swaggie

here is was thinking I had a once in a blue moon dud century battery seems like a dud make now . my Century Deep Cycle Battery has leaked acid all over the car , causing rust . its less than 12 months old and it only has a six month warranty. mine leaks out the vents , its not over charging and there is no reason for it other than its stuffed already.

will never buy another.

Yeah mate not good, my last Century thread which I cannot find had some member complain about the same thing, I going to try and get the Century rep on this thread, don't like my chances but will try.

muc the truck

Yeah mate not good, my last Century thread which I cannot find had some member complain about the same thing, I going to try and get the Century rep on this thread, don't like my chances but will try.
I like that idea
will post a photo of the battery bay and rust its caused later, had to repaint most of that corner in the Colorado . even the front of the chassis

, I have looked every were for my recept from supercheap but to no avail . it was about 9 moths old when it leaked every were , 3 months outside its warranty.

ndr4

Yeah that was me Swaggie, the century marine pro leaked like a seive, & that was mostly road driving...:(

dno67

I've also got a marine pro that's leaked like a barstard and removed a sh!t load of paint, but I am using a marine battery in a different application than it's advertised purpose after it was suggested by the retailer. So where dose that leave one standing ?
If anything I think Century need to at least get onto the there retailers/resellers and tell them to stop recommending the use of this battery as suitable item for offroad or 4wding.

Swaggie

I've also got a marine pro that's leaked like a barstard and removed a sh!t load of paint, but I am using a marine battery in a different application than it's advertised purpose after it was suggested by the retailer. So where dose that leave one standing ?
If anything I think Century need to at least get onto the there retailers/resellers and tell them to stop recommending the use of this battery as suitable item for offroad or 4wding.

As I said in my previous thread I was told by the rep that they realise 4wdrivers are putting in marine pros, so to compensate they put more acid in so it covers the plates while being on angles. It would probably make sense if they were sealed.