AGM battery max discharge?

brianwalkington

Hello People
Ok, so I understand that my AGM batteries are "deep cycle". But what does that really mean in terms of how deep? What voltage can they be safely discharged to? My Waeco fridge has a battery monitor thingo which can switch the fridge off to prevent over discharging the batteries but I don't know what to set it to.

HELP!

Thanks
Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drivesafe

Hi Brian and first off, the fridge setting are not there to protect your batteries, the settings are intended to protect the fridge.

As to your AGM batteries, if they are Optima batteries, they can be discharged down to 0% State of Charge ( SoC ), with is 10.5v but all other DEEP CYCLE AGM batteries and most wet type DEEP CYCLE batteries can be safely discharged down to 20% SoC, 11.58v, but must not be discharged any lower.

Here is a chart to help you monitor your batteries.

893139_SoC_Table.jpg

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Great chart, thanks.
Haven't ordered my dc agm battery as yet (130amph), as long as it's ok for inside the cab (no hydrogen gasses) I don't mind 11.58 setting, as the ark pak or alt charge via Anderson should keep it right.
New fridge (now waiting for me at home for 19th when I get back) has 3 levels for cut off.

Sent from my HTC1 using tapatalk

drivesafe

Haven't ordered my dc agm battery as yet (130amph), as long as it's ok for inside the cab (no hydrogen gasses)

Hi Les and AGMs not causing hydrogen gas inside a cab is an urban myth.

“ALL” batteries will gas in the wrong situation and AGM batteries are MORE LIKELY to gas than wet cell type batteries.

The labelling of AGM, and other batteries, as being “SEALED” is misleading ( unintentionally ) as it does not relate to gassing as most people think.

A “SEALED” battery is one that does not SPILL it’s electrolyte.

Furthermore, because of this misunderstanding, more and more battery manufacturers are now changing the labelling of their “SEALED” batteries to SPILL PROOF batteries.

As above, all batteries can be caused to gas if the voltage applied to the battery is too high for that type of battery, and many types of AGMs will actually start to gas at lower voltages than wet cell batteries will.

Also note, even if a battery gasses while you are in the vehicle, you are not going to be poisoned and there will not be an explosion. These are all urban myths.

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Ta for the further info, will do some more research before ordering that then, but sounds like not too much to worry about anyway.
We usually have airflow through the vehicle, not all closed up.

Sent from my HTC1 using tapatalk