Go Back   4x4 Earth > General 4wd Forums > 4x4 Tech Talk > Electrical

Find a Mechanic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29-06-2010, 08:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
4x4 Earth Member
Member no. 4162

Default LED Lights

Hey, just gone LED tail lights but now they flash faster then normal, like if I had a glob out, I put a new eletronic flasher unit in and still does the same, is there anything I can do to put back to normal??? Thanks in advance. Phill
mudtiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2010, 08:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
4x4 Earth Superstar
Member no. 1116

Send a message via MSN to Split pin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudtiera View Post
Hey, just gone LED tail lights but now they flash faster then normal, like if I had a glob out, I put a new eletronic flasher unit in and still does the same, is there anything I can do to put back to normal??? Thanks in advance. Phill
No not really. As the led lights take less amperage your flasher unit is sensing that a globe is out. You can purchase L E D globes that will fit into your other indicators and that should solve your fast flash problem.
Old 29-06-2010, 09:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
4x4 Earth Guru
Member no. 130

May need to fit a ballast resistor in series with the led globe to slow it down. Chances are if it is flashing to fast it is because the LED is getting more voltage than it needs.
Grey Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2010, 09:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
4x4 Earth Member
Member no. 3196

I think you got an electronic flasher that is designed for normal globes ie requires a heavy current.

Does yours say it works with LEDs?

These are made for LEDs: 3-Pin Electronic Flasher Relay for LED Bulbs (Type EU/AU) [LED_Flasher_EU] - A$11.95 : BL LED Optronics Corp., Lighting up with LEDs!

Mike
Cuvier100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2010, 10:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
4x4 Earth Superstar
Member no. 10085

Slip over to Jaycar,
(From their site)
"Campbelltown
Shop 1/50 Queen Street 2560
Ph: 02 4620 7155
Fax: 02 4620 5866

Trading Hours
Mon-Fri: 8.30 - 5.30
Thu: 8.30 - 7.30
Sat: 8.30 - 5.00
Sun: 10.00 - 4.00
Map: Campbelltown
New South Wales, Australia."

They should be able to help you out.
You need a flasher can to suit the LED's.
They may have a inline ballast unit you could use.
I'm sure they would have seen it before, our local outlet seem quite good.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, I drive in Land Rover comfort
Alien d2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2010, 07:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
4x4 Earth Guru
Member no. 513

Send a message via Skype™ to bmurray2250

The flasher unit sensors on current draw which is caused by the resistance of a bulb. There are LED replacements which has this feature added. The other choose it to replace the flasher unit that designed for LED bulbs
bmurray2250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2010, 09:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
Member no. 670

Send a message via Skype™ to Pure Yobbo

Yep current draw is the problem and they think you have a bulb out somewhere hence flashing quicker.

I read somewhere if you leave one or two of the bulbs as the original type (eg the indicators in a bullbar) they draw enough cuttent to flash ar normal speed again.

Cheers
Old 08-08-2010, 07:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
4x4 Earth Guru
Member no. 1430

Like some of the others who have posted, I have some LED 'fast flashing' indicator issues. I have replaced both sets of lights in the rear bar. Have actually removed the rear bar in readiness for a custom one, and installed stop/tail/indicator LED's on both sides. There are also side indicators on the rear, indicators on the side of the vehicle just in front if the front doors and obviously the front indicators. That means there are still 6 with normal globes. These are not drawing enough for the system to think all is okay. Are there any other options as opposed to different flasher units ( is there a flasher unit that can be used for combination LED's and globes ), or replacing the other 6 globes with LED's.

Another question, does it matter that it is flashing at twice the speed, apart from the flasher unit and remaining globes having their life halved. Possibly doesn't comply with ADR's, but would you get booked over it ?
Davidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
4x4 Earth Member
Member no. 5254

Your flasher can is not seeing the right load due to the LED replacement, it is much the same if you have a blown indicator globe on the rear making the front one flash faster.

Flasher cans use the resistance of the globes to set the flash rate.

What you can do is fit an LED flasher can or you can buy a resistor for the LED light to increase the resistance of that circuit.

Have a look here Bright Light Auto Parts - LED Lamp accessories
Old 08-08-2010, 08:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
4x4 Earth Contributer
Member no. 589

I would try soldering a 5 Ohm, 30 watt resistor in parallel with each LED tail light.

LEDs always have an inbuilt protective resistor connected in series with them, since too much current through a LED will 'blow' it. So each LED in the tail lamp will have its own protective resistor. With the circuits I used to 'play' with I used to use 220 Ohm or 330 Ohm protective resistors. So the flasher unit is sensing a high resistance when it trys to give current to the LED tail lamp. I guess this has a simillar effect on the flasher as the infinite reistance of a blown normal bulb.

So to make the flasher think it is still providing power to a 12V 20W bulb, about 2 Ohms say, you could try putting a 5 Ohm resistor in parallel with the LED unit. Without knowing the resistors, and how many, in the tail unit, I cannot calculate the exact shunt resistor required. I think a 5 Ohm resistor would be a good bet though. It should cost less than a dollar from Dick Smith. You will need two of them - one for each tail light.

Maybe try a 10 Ohm resistor first. If it works that means less power drain from the car battery, and less heat being generated in the wiring harness and the 10 Ohm resistor, which is always 'healthy'. ( Power rating for the 10ohm resistor would be about 12V/10Ohm x 12v = 14.4 W i.e. say 15W ).

Make sure you do a good vibration proof, wear proof insulation job on the two soldered ends of the resistor, since you are setting up a potential short cicuit if the insulation rubs through or falls off. Depending if there is any bare metal nearby, which there could be. There should be a fuse in the fuse box for this circuit, but always good to insulate joins properly, just in case.

Last edited by millsy : 08-08-2010 at 08:55 PM.
millsy is offline   Reply With Quote