Go Back   4x4 Earth > General 4wd Forums > 4x4 Tech Talk > Fuel System

Find a Mechanic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22-06-2010, 10:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
KDA
4x4 Earth Pro
Member no. 6198

Post Diesel engines and snorkel's

gday,

just after a bit of advice, i have a diesel navara and looking to have a snorkel installed and was wondering besides the obvious reason of fitting a snorkel (letting the engine breath in deep crossings etc) does the introduction of fresh cool air have any effect on the engine?

I know there would be an advantage having fresh cooler air for a petrol engine, as i had a full cold air induction kit on my commodore which boosted performance and economy but can the same be said for Diesel engine?

still getting use to the diesel systems.

cheers
Old 23-06-2010, 04:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Joe
4x4 Earth Superstar
Member no. 832

Send a message via Yahoo to Joe

G'day mate. Well worth fitting a snorkel, you'll find that the power and economy will improve a little. And you'll find that the air filter won't need to be cleaned or changed as often either.
My brother fitted one to his diesel 80 series, and it made a difference.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2010, 05:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
4x4 Earth Superstar
Member no. 3197

Send a message via Skype™ to Towie

Yes its a very worthwhile mod & investment in some cheap insurance if you hit water crossing often..
Along with a new zuast it will breath better idle down faster & turbo's usually spin up a touvh earlier..... IMO

Safari have a new 4inch one piece comming out for 79 Series Cruisers & i will be replacing the factory one as soon as they release it in a month or so...

cheers towie
Towie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2010, 05:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Joe
4x4 Earth Superstar
Member no. 832

Send a message via Yahoo to Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towie View Post
Yes its a very worthwhile mod & investment in some cheap insurance if you hit water crossing often..
Along with a new zuast it will breath better idle down faster & turbo's usually spin up a touvh earlier..... IMO

Safari have a new 4inch one piece comming out for 79 Series Cruisers & i will be replacing the factory one as soon as they release it in a month or so...

cheers towie
I'm glad to hear that there will be a replacement for the Toyota two piece snorkel. I'm looking to buy a 79 series in the next 6 months and that will be one of the first things I do.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 06:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
KDA
4x4 Earth Pro
Member no. 6198

I have now had my snorkel installed for a few weeks now, the guys at mitchell brothers 4x4 in nth sydney did an out standing job in installing it.

going great so far, running nicely and a small improvement in fuel economy and a lil less exhaust smoke.

But now to show my nebieness again, in reguards to water. now its installed it can take a bit deeper water crossings but what about when driving in the rain? would much water make it down and through to the filter or does the water build up and sit in the intake system?

any snorkel gurus able to shed some light on the subject?
Old 16-07-2010, 07:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member no. 4735

The head of a typical snorkel is designed to evacuate the water that enters via rain, the rush of air being drawn in and then turning 90 deg corner causes the water droplets to move to the outside and stick to the inner lining of the air ram, from here they drain out near where the air ram is connected.
Diesels love cold air, especially intercooled turbo ones. You will mainly notice this when under load like towing a camper trailer etc. The difference between towing on a 35 deg day and an 8 deg cool night is quite noticeable - better power and torque plus less fuel usage.

Walkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2010, 10:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
4x4 Earth Newbie
Member no. 12212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
remanufactured engine G'day mate. Well worth fitting a snorkel, you'll find that the power and economy will improve a little. And you'll find that the air filter won't need to be cleaned or changed as often either.
My brother fitted one to his diesel 80 series transfer cases, and it made a difference.
Yeah, I still couldn't make out whether it has increased the power but it's a relief now that my air filter needs less cleaning.

Last edited by legaleagle : 30-07-2010 at 08:54 AM.
legaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2010, 11:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
4x4 Earth Pro
Member no. 2833

My fuel economy became worse after installing a safari snorkel.

Sometimes it helps to keep the filter cleaner but on some of the overgrown tracks of the high country I've had an airbox full of those fine little dry leaves, insects and all sorts of interesting stuff - even after turning the head to the rear.

Regarding rain and splashes into the snorkel, maybe the head design helps to get rid of some of the water (if you unblock and keep the little slots clean) but I think that the minimal amount of water that actually gets in evaporates very quickly with the volume of air that travels through the motor.

Would I be without it? - NO .... I would've drowned my car many times.

Stevo

Vic High Country Huts - photos here
sschmez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2010, 11:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
4x4 Earth Newbie
Member no. 11517

modern electronic turbo diesel engines are so highly controlled that it will not make much difference to power or fuel economy. made no diff to my d40 auto. On cold nights, the cool air running over the turbo veins makes a distinct noise that is disturbing until you work it out. The auto has a much more noticeable induction noise. defnitely get one though because the air up behind the headlioght is not conducive with offroad engine life?
Old 25-07-2010, 09:11 AM   #10 (permalink)
KDA
4x4 Earth Pro
Member no. 6198

snokel still going well but still havnt had a big test for it (havnt been off roading for while now) as for fuel usage i use the road trip iphone app which keeps track of your fuel and kilometres and has been consistent at using less fuel then before the install.

i was a bit worried that when the guys who installed the snorkel showed me that mud had made its way up through to the air box so im glad that the air intake has been moved.

Just like 1200ob said there is an induction noise and a bit of a growl if you plant your foot on the go pedal but sounds rather mean, and not a bad thing.