Best Soft roader?`

Nux

I have driven Rav4 and hyundies Sante Fe, they both seemed okay, what opinion do people have of all the others out ther, the wife likes the idea of one, but not sure which ones I chould look at or stay away from, basically just for road use, or very minor offroad. we have proper fourbies for off road. Low range not required, like the idea of being up highish I guess. for carting the toddler around, and there nay be another coming in the next year or two? ideas/thoughts/opinions all welcome!

Thanks.:confused:

Traveller

G'day Brian, we have an X-Trail for the missus to drive around. Sits up a bit higher for viewing the road
and drives very nice. Good lot of room in it too.

Adventure guy

I don't think there are any bad soft roaders around, cause soft roaders probably represent one of the the biggest market segments at the moment. I like the Toyota's Rav4, but they are not cheap, I would consider an X-Trail as well, the Nissan now comes in diesel model.
Check the ANCAP website for safety ratings, and test drive them all.

Last edited:

bmurray2250

4x4 Earth Contributer
I have driven the Hyundai and was a great soft-roader. Xtrail and Rav4 are good. Presently one of my brothers is touring the Kimberley's region with caravan in tow in a Kia. All appear to be as good as each other. Recommend to work out what you want in the vehicle and then look at cost of servicing and parts.

LowLux

I've always had the X-Trail on the top of the list. Like the idea that you can hose the back of them out and they have plenty of room. There is also the diesel version now as well.

frosty

4x4 Earth Contributer
:DWell I heard the new 200 series Landcruiser is worth a look if your after a soft roading shopping trolley come mum's taxi!!! Although the Pathfinder does seem a little more serious!! :rolleyes:

bmurray2250

4x4 Earth Contributer
The 2010 Patrol is looking every much a soft roader also but will need to wait for the release to confirm it

havok011101

Apparently Forresters have good clearance. I took my parents 08 fishing a fair bit before I got the lux and it went pretty well playing around on some tracks, was very comfy, etc.

Low profiles and AWD only take you so far, but it was pretty capable. Just don't take it on mud flats unless they're very very dry. Funny story.

Also saw an awesome post of a Hyundai Terracan, was very impressed with this guys efforts. Not really a soft roader anymore though, but pretty inspiriational considering what it began as.

If you haven't already seen it:
Hyundai terracan does mini red at glasshouse mountain with video footage - Australian 4WD Action Online Forums - the 4WD, 4x4 and offroad truck community. Get the latest tips, news, reviews, images and video clips.
(I'm not sure if you need to be a member, but I'd imagine most of you are)

Last edited:

bmurray2250

4x4 Earth Contributer
Terracan is one of the most under rated offroads. Owners like the offroad ability but lack of aftermarket accessories were a problem 18 months or so ago. Someone had their Terracan in places that a worked Patrol or cruiser would only go. Finding one of those would be good, especially the diesel version

Patriot

Administrator
At the risk of being exiled by my Jeep brothers, can I suggest the Jeep Patriot? I really like mine. It has a great CRD engine which gets me 6.2 litres / 100 km, looks great and drives really well.

The downside is the clearnance is not too good, the non-stick tires that come with it are useless, a set of All Terrains would help with that and there is no low range.

I got premium sound with mine so that when I get stuck I can listen to some phat tunes whilst waiting for a snatch :)

James

jeffh

I have driven Rav4 and hyundies Sante Fe, they both seemed okay, what opinion do people have of all the others out ther, the wife likes the idea of one, but not sure which ones I chould look at or stay away from, basically just for road use, or very minor offroad. we have proper fourbies for off road. Low range not required, like the idea of being up highish I guess. for carting the toddler around, and there nay be another coming in the next year or two? ideas/thoughts/opinions all welcome!

Thanks.:confused:

I've got a 08 Santa Fe Turbo Diesel, goes well, fuel economy is good. Yet to take it off road and test it out. I might need a serious 4wd as my recovery vehicle.:)

croozza

If your not going off road with it, forget the soft roader, get a falcon or commodore wagon, or even a people mover. Leave the off roading to real 4wd's so that we don't suffer with raised insurance premiums and track closures.

croozza

Sorry to be so harsh on the soft roader thing but they are the cause of the bad publicity on 4wd's.