A great trip attended by:
Rudi and Mal
Davidman, Brooke and Leith
Sschmez, Annette and Nicholas
Deepop and Luke
Nickj and Greg
Bear, Bob and Trevor
Vitara94 and Tanya (from NSW)

All except Bears mob, we stayed Friday night at Edwards Hill camping area. A great little spot just off the east end of Donnolleys Creek Tk. There was a great fire booming by the time Greg and I got there so we did the intros, set up the tent and had some dinner and a few beers.
edwards.JPG

Edwards Hill camping area
grave1.JPG

A lone grave close by the camping area
In the morning, we headed out to Edwards Reef cemetary to view some old grave sites, the only marked one - that of Christine Shaw. From here, we headed to Store Point and Rudi gave us a great rundown of the area and showed some photos from some of his books of how it used to be.
grave2.JPG

This proceeded a good walk up to a grave site with 1 marked grave.
Following this, we headed past a populated Army Track hut and on to O'Tooles Flat for lunch. From here we headed off to Toombon Chimney and replica hotel. Rudi showed us around the place and gave us a good insight of days gone by. On the way back, we stopped at Toombon cemetary where I gave a brief account of the place, while showing the great steps that some of us 4x4Earth members had built.
Saturday evening saw us retreat to Rudi's mine lease on Walhalla Rd. We did a bit of bush maintenance as can be seen here with Davidman using something a little better than butter knife to cut through a tree crossing the track. This large tree was then repositioned 100m down the track by the mighty Pathfinder. A large fire was built and some great comparisons of all types of Aldi purchases were discussed.
davidcut.JPG

David using his petrol powered butter knife
sschmez2.JPG

Steve first thing Sunday morning
Sunday we set off for a short trip up Walhalla rd in preparation for a big walk down the hill to some mines. We went in some of them for a look around.
luke.JPG

Luke finishing dinner
leith.JPG

Leith's ready
john1.JPG

John too
sschmez3.JPG

Sschmez family ready to enter the mines too
mine.JPG

One of the mines we visited
We headed back after a huge walk to pack up and have a late lunch before setting off home. Nickj led most of the crew down Beardmore's Tk to find the river a little swollen and flowing. As GS pointed out, gippsland Water had opened the gates a little... Causing a 500mm increase in water depth. This made for a great ending to the weekend as all made the trek across the Thompson River.
704641_schmez.jpg

Steve
397835_deepop.jpg

Darren
bob.JPG

Bear and co

Thanks to John and Tanya for making the trip down from NSW and also to Rudi and mal for hosting the weekend. Also to everyone else for some new and refreshed friendships.

Nick

Last edited:

deepop

4x4 Earth Contributer
Well, I can add some photo's at least.

100_6769small.jpg

The youngest members of our trip - Deepop's Luke and Sschmez's Nick (little Nick as opposed to big Nick). Big Nick (Nickj) thought Annette was going to keep cooking his meals every time - at least that's what he claimed whenever Annette called 'Nick' for dinner and he turned up with plate in hand.

The next photo's are all members leaving the first cemetary site (Except Davidman who'd moved out of the way so the others could get out - and me of course, I actually took some photo's so I had to prove it by putting them on here)

100_6772small.jpg

Nickj and Greg

100_6773small.jpg

Sschmez and co.

100_6774small.jpg

Bear and co. (Nick's mates)

100_6775small.jpg

John and Tanya (Vitara94)

100_6778small.jpg

Rudi and Mal

100_6783small.jpg

The last mine we checked out - walking towards the flooded section.

100_6784small.jpg

The flooded section

100_6785small.jpg

Rusty looking stalactites forming from iron ore in Quartz veins in rock.

100_6791small.jpg

Signature at end of tunnel - something like 'EJ Anderson' and then 1908 underneath.

Last edited: