Go Back   4x4 Earth > Model Specific Tech > Toyota > Hilux

Find a Mechanic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24-06-2009, 10:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
4x4 Earth Champion
Member no. 187

Send a message via Yahoo to oznog05
Question 3.0td Hilux Timing belt

Hello All.

I am getting the timing belt change on the hilux and the machanic thinks its a good idea to also change the water pump aswell. Reason being is that because its a diesel, the water pumps away's seem to go shortly after the belt is done on them.

Has anyone heard of this before.

Also what your thoughts on plug and play DPchips, thinking of getting one.

Cheer's Oz
oznog05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2009, 04:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
4x4 Earth Guru
Member no. 513

Send a message via Skype™ to bmurray2250

Can't tell you about the water pump should be changed but if it has done 150,000KM is could last another 100,000KM or fail next month. I have changed many water pumps on the old commodore but touch wood the one in the Prado has done 230,000KM. It is cheap insurance.

DP Chip appears to work well, drove a Patrol 4.2 diesel a few weeks ago and it ran well. More power and torque over the standard version. A guy I know had it installed when he picked his Patrol up from new as he had it done on the Discovery he had before it. He highly recommended it and after owning 3 diesels before he should know
bmurray2250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2009, 05:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
4x4 Earth Newbie
Member no. 3957

It is a very good investment to change the water pump at the same time as the timing belt as it is only another five minutes labour involved so all it really costs you is the price of the pump which I think from memory are around a hundred dollars. I went the cheap way last time I did mine only to have to pull it all apart again about four weeks later to replace the pump.
dipmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2009, 05:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member no. 522

Location: Incredibly Further Far West Gippy Than 4X4 and Deepop Put Together!, 5092

Won't hurt doing it now oznog05 or is it gonzo50. Its in the timing belt region so save yourself some cash and get it done whilst the mech is in there.
Old 25-06-2009, 08:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
4x4 Earth Champion
Member no. 187

Send a message via Yahoo to oznog05

Thanks for the advice...Have decided to get it all done.

See you out there.
oznog05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2009, 08:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
4x4 Earth Champion
Member no. 4136

Quote:
Originally Posted by oznog05 View Post
Hello All.

I am getting the timing belt change on the hilux and the machanic thinks its a good idea to also change the water pump as well.
He's right you know. I replaced a timing belt in my last rig myself and 2 weeks later, the water pump went. Pulled out the shop manual again and found it said "to replace the water pump, first remove the timing belt". I was spewing as it turned out the water punp only cost me $70. I thought they were $200 or so.

I think the extra tension of a new timing belt can be the last straw for an old water pump and I have heard they often go soon after a new timing belt goes on. Well worth doing while it is all apart as you will only b epaying for parts if you do it now.
Brisbane, Australia
rodw is offline   Reply With Quote