MU-X 2013 -> Technical Info

Jad308

MGMUX when you're in ARB can you ask them if they have a time frame for their MU-X version of the D-Max bar yet and if they are working on actual rated recovery points.

MGMUX

MGMUX when you're in ARB can you ask them if they have a time frame for their MU-X version of the D-Max bar yet and if they are working on actual rated recovery points.

Yep no worries. Ill ask about the lockers as well. I'll be near TJM to so will pop in there too. I'm going to ask about using the tow hitch device for recovery too. Many people say they aren't a good idea either.

Jad308

Actually your tow bar with a 2" Hayman receiver is an ideal recovery point, you don't need a billet hitch either, although it will give you a few extra angle options if its rotatable from horizontal to vertical. The hitch pin is high tensile steel and there is no chance it will shear. I've done a couple of snatch recoverys using my towbar. At the moment the only way to safely snatch recover a MU-X is from the rear if its got a towbar installed. I've been on a few 4wd courses now and always learn something new from the instructors.

MGMUX

Actually your tow bar with a 2" Hayman receiver is an ideal recovery point, you don't need a billet hitch either, although it will give you a few extra angle options if its rotatable from horizontal to vertical. The hitch pin is high tensile steel and there is no chance it will shear. I've done a couple of snatch recoverys using my towbar. At the moment the only way to safely snatch recover a MU-X is from the rear if its got a towbar installed. I've been on a few 4wd courses now and always learn something new from the instructors.

That's good to hear. When you say billet hitch are you referring to those towbar recovery shackle inserts? Sounds like a recovery kit with one of those in it would be useful.

Jad308

Yeah those are the ones. You replace your towball hitch with one and they have a big rated shackle on the end. I actually have the TJM one which allows horizontal or vertical placement of the shackle. Not really a must have as you can just stick the recovery strap loop into the hitch receiver and just use the hitch pin to hold it in place.

MGMUX

Yeah those are the ones. You replace your towball hitch with one and they have a big rated shackle on the end. I actually have the TJM one which allows horizontal or vertical placement of the shackle. Not really a must have as you can just stick the recovery strap loop into the hitch receiver and just use the hitch pin to hold it in place.

ok so I visited arb and tjm to talk about recovery points. Arb were surprised how strongly built those tow points are on the mux. However as you already know. They suggested to only use the front points in an emergency with a bridal. TJM recommended to always use the rear towbar hitch point whenever possible.

Arb don't know when the MUX accessories are coming out and suggested to register on their news email list. TJM however said they don't wait to be asked to make accessories. They buy a car and make them straight up.

The 4wd show is up in October so I think ill pick up a recovery kit then.....

Jad308

Interesting.. A bridal is one of things I need to add to my kit. Thanks for the update MGMUX. Does this mean that TJM have bought a MU-X and are working on rated recovery points?? :) Good idea to buy at the show, I'm waiting on ours in Nov. Hoping to get a good deal on a OZTent RV5.

monbeg

Off topic momentarily.

Hoping to get a good deal on a OZTent RV5.

Been researching rooftop and ground tents. Narrowed the ground based down to Black Wolf and Oztent RV.
This is the best deal I have seen so far on the one you are looking at.
OZTENT RV-5 Tent | Snowys

Also been told that in some conditions the Oztent needs to have a fly over the top.

Last edited:

Jad308

Cheers Monbeg, I'm using the Snowys pricing as my starting point as they are definitely the cheapest so far and have free Australia wide shipping.

MGMUX

Interesting.. A bridal is one of things I need to add to my kit. Thanks for the update MGMUX. Does this mean that TJM have bought a MU-X and are working on rated recovery points?? :) Good idea to buy at the show, I'm waiting on ours in Nov. Hoping to get a good deal on a OZTent RV5.

Well I have heard back from isuzu in answer to my about the tow points on the car. See the quote from their email below.

Thank you for contacting Isuzu UTE Australia.

Firstly, congratulations on the purchase of your Isuzu MU-X, we trust you will have many happy adventures for years to come!

In answer to your questions, yes, your Isuzu MU-X does have a rated Tow/Recovery point. Each Tow/Recovery point has a rating of 2T.

Please refer to your Owners and Drivers Manual for locations.

Kind Regards,
Customer Relations Team

This would mean that potentially snatching with a bridal to spread the load on the front of the car is plausible. On closer inspection of those front points it looks like they are welded to a shs which is in turn bolted to the chassis.

Interesting...

Ziggy

Off topic momentarily.

Been researching rooftop and ground tents. Narrowed the ground based down to Black Wolf and Oztent RV.
This is the best deal I have seen so far on the one you are looking at.
OZTENT RV-5 Tent | Snowys

Also been told that in some conditions the Oztent needs to have a fly over the top.

Yes. I saw several of them erected in the Birdsville camp ground all with flys. Would reduce condensation & interior temperature.

Ziggy

Black Wolf Turbo tent has a partial double skin which should help with those problems.

Jad308

In answer to your questions, yes, your Isuzu MU-X does have a rated Tow/Recovery point. Each Tow/Recovery point has a rating of 2T.

I find it interesting that they actually used the words Rated & Recovery. Based on that statement and definitely using a bridal I'd say if you can't do a rear recovery with your towbar then you should be fine using the front points, provided you're not buried to the diff in mud.

Thanks for chasing it up MGMUX I'll add this to the Tech Info post.

Jad308

The thing I like about the RV tents is that everything is so beautifully modular, you can add extra extensions or panels and not lose any functionality doing so, I especially like the tag along tent addition as that makes it ideal to house kids in their own separate tent, but still connected to the communal central space.

MGMUX

I find it interesting that they actually used the words Rated & Recovery. Based on that statement and definitely using a bridal I'd say if you can't do a rear recovery with your towbar then you should be fine using the front points, provided you're not buried to the diff in mud.

Thanks for chasing it up MGMUX I'll add this to the Tech Info post.

Indeed. You've summed up my assumption based on that information. The ARB guys also advised you can also use a tree protector as a bridal also. Based on a bridal to distribute the load you effectively have a rated 4tone recovery ability. I still cant find that specification in the manual. I'm going to take that information to ARB and see what their comments are.

Ziggy

The thing I like about the RV tents is that everything is so beautifully modular, you can add extra extensions or panels and not lose any functionality doing so, I especially like the tag along tent addition as that makes it ideal to house kids in their own separate tent, but still connected to the communal central space.

What is a real downer about the Oztent and the BW Turbo Tent is their weight and bulk when packed. I can just get 175cm long skis flat in the back on the diagonal. The RV5 is a 2m long 25 kg bundle. BW uses a pivot in the frame for a shorter package.

I've just been to the MCC showroom for a crawl over their bullbars. The Falcon with triple stainless loops had been my pick but no longer. The loop section is bolted to the bumper section; it's not properly socketed.

They are now making a rear bar with carriers for the MU-X. Includes reversing sensor mounts and an alloy checkerplate step. A tow bar kit is available. Cost with single jerry and single wheel carriers is $2200. Other carrier combos are available. Part no. MCC 022-02. Rear Carrier Bars MCC 022- 02

Jad308

Yeah the RV5 at 2m long packed is a bit unwieldy, but I'll chuck it up on the roof rack or in the ole 7x4 trailer if not off-roading. The weight isn't that much of a problem, my kids are the best weight set I have ever had :)

Does the MCC rear bar and towbar set maintain the same towing and downball limits as the stock ISUZU bar or a they downrated due to the extra weight?

Ziggy

Towbar meets maker's specs acc to the website Jad. Nothing else specific is said. There are jacking points on the bumper wings so it must be a pretty solid bit of kit.

Jad308

Its bridle.. Although snatching using a bride might be messy :)

Let me just go back and edit all my misspellings...... Ha

Last edited: