Mt Airlie, Sat 26th April

myall

Access was granted without issue (2 weeks without rain).

Whilst airing down a couple bigger 4wd's turn up and start telling me how I won't be able to do the track and how I'll need assistance to get through the hard stuff. "You'll know it when you'll see it and turn around". I just queried them for directions as that's ALL I NEED. I'll decide what I can and cannot do!

I checked out the first view which was graded and in some parts graveled. Nice view on top...

DSC05969_zpseda9dca2.jpg

Next I proceeded down the "Jurassic Park" track which is the one everyone posts about online. It traverses through the valley so is wet and washed out in sections.

DSC06012_zps38d886a4.jpg

DSC06030_zps15c22238.jpg

DSC06149_zpsa3f62db5.jpg

DSC06170_zps4272cc75.jpg

After following the valley for a while it starts an ascent and gets harder.

This is the point I'm apparently meant to turn around because it's not possible to do when alone, or with my car for that matter... whoops...

DSC06041_zps100cce50.jpg

DSC06065_zps7ff76885.jpg

2014-04-26_130102_zpsd3a8498e.jpg

M1000032_zpsf8ab8e90.jpg

2014-04-26_131457_zps3cdd45b0.jpg

Unfortunately I did have to stop at that big step up, due to a terrible grinding noise. I'd heard the noise before but figured it was just my new tyres rubbing. On this occasion my tyres weren't spinning so I feared for the transmission, parked the car, and walked a little further on foot. Here's what I saw...

DSC06094_zps2493fd95.jpg

DSC06112_zpsca2afc0c.jpg

DSC06118_zps7c00a896.jpg

DSC06115_zps8f544967.jpg

Turned around and drove back down...

DSC06087_zps221d70cb.jpg

2014-04-26_140242_zpsc352ad0b.jpg

Following that I checked out "The Grotto", which is a very short drive and easily accessible by any 4wd.

DSC06238_zps068aa58c.jpg

DSC06211_zpsd81ceaa2.jpg

Last edited:

Jaye

Nice trip report and photos. Would love to head out there one day. Yesterday wasn't the day though, pitty.

Split pin

Its a great area to visit. yes there are some very difficult tracks. Where you stopped and turned around is the start of the real bad washed away track. it does get a lot worse the further up you go. But the view is absolutely worth it though.

Torrie 72

Awesome

Hey Glen, that track looks awesome! Would have loved to be there. Definitely have to check it out one day. Love the vegetation too.

Cheers, Ben.

myall

Its a great area to visit. yes there are some very difficult tracks. Where you stopped and turned around is the start of the real bad washed away track. it does get a lot worse the further up you go. But the view is absolutely worth it though.

Wow, hard to imagine that it gets worse!! I thought by that point it's up on the plateau so should get easier.

The view track looks so amazing and difficult for only one car. Is it in the blue mountain region?

Yep, western side of the Blue Mountains.

That sounds nasty, did ya find out what it was?

Engine mount - the chassis bracket tore apart:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DDySlhr2S4

Between the supercharger and 4.88 diff ratios there's too much torque!! (575nm @ 4 wheels)

cloughcarib

Thanks for the report and especially the pics.

I love Mt Airlie and have only made it to the end in the passenger side of an 80s courtesy of Rob;):D.

Haven't been there for a few years now though:). :)

The grotto is an amazing exploration trek isn't it? Did you happen to check out the state of the campsites?

JonoGQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split pin View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myall View Post
Wow, hard to imagine that it gets worse!! I thought by that point it's up on the plateau so should get easier.

I didn't think it got any worse. Would be no worse than what you done. & that wasn't that bad I thought.

Last edited:

Big Rig

4x4 Earth Contributer
Can anyone tell me where to find this drive. I am in Wollongong at the moment but would like to check it out before I get home to Brisbane on the weekend

Big Rig

4x4 Earth Contributer
Cool thanks. After all of the hype I thought someone would have logged it on our tracks database by now. Maybe a job for me if the track is still open.

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
No worries.

Zoom in on either map to see those tracks appear, especially the mapcarta page.
Looks like you can download from that one too, maybe a file / jpg you can print to take.

Not sure EXACTLY where that track in the pics is, but suspect it is to the north off Glen Davis Rd, slightly to the east of Mt Airlie range, with tracks going right up that valley (Gap Ck) and up the east side of Mt Airlie.

I have done Turon and easier forest tracks in the Gardens of Stone / Newnes area nearby, very nice country.

Jaye

Col, the owner of the land you have to pass through to get to the track has recently just passed away and you may find no access to his property as I would assume his estate is being looked after by the executive. Just a heads up that you may find a locked gate or something along those lines.
Still might be worth a drive as there is plenty of country to see around there.

nitrobrent

Love Airlie.
Get up there 5 or 6 times a year.
Amazing views
20180111_192905.jpg
Great to sit back and watch the sun set after a day on the tracks