So what's going on with the Carbon Tax?

Tappet

The Shrek has been keeping a fairly low profile of late leaving most of the heavy lifting to Matius.

I liken Palmer to an unguided missile. The thing has been fully primed and cocked but nobody has set the GPS coordinates. You just don't know where it's going to end up. Blew up the Libs pretty well this week but the next shot could end up on Labor or the Greens door step or even fall back to earth as a dead stick :)

Looks like you watched that Four Corners programme last Monday millsy. Quite an eye opener, the non believers will still bleat typical left B.S. but I urge anyone who pays an electricity bill to check it out on I-view and then past comment.

Stupid Flanders

Looks like you watched that Four Corners programme last Monday millsy. Quite an eye opener, the non believers will still bleat typical left B.S. but I urge anyone who pays an electricity bill to check it out on I-view and then past comment.

As if....... Goes against the rule book. Just repeat what Alan Jones says over and over and over :p

millsy

4x4 Earth Contributer

Well, quite an eye opener for those that don't have a particular interest in renewable energy. England has been at the fore-front in this area for many years. As we saw on Four Corners, they continue. As does America. And China. And most other countries. South Australia has been leading Australia, by far, in wind power. And Abbott is doing his best to halt it in it's tracks.

I saw a documentary quite a while ago on how they were using co-generation with power stations, using their waste heat to provide central heating to many surrounding houses and businesses. It is used a lot through England and Europe, with their long cold winters! Cogeneration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tidal power is another good example of a renewable energy source. Free energy from the moon in this case, rather than the sun! It has been around since the 60's. Tidal power - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and TIDAL ENERGY AUSTRALIA - HOME PAGE

I read in yesterday's paper how there might be a big advance in the storage capacity of Lithium ion batteries soon. And also the time taken to recharge them could be reduced considerably. Possibly down to ten minutes!So that electric cars for instance, might be able to double their range! That would put the American Tesla would then have a range of about 800km. That's getting up there with our fossilized old technology cars lol! Why aren't we buying the rights to build Teslas here at our GMH plant? Advances in lithium-ion battery research improve lifespan and charge time

And then there is bio-mass and methane plants. I can see the time where we could use solar powered desalination to treat our sewage at the first stage, providing fresh water for irrigation, and then send the concentrate into a methane generator, rather than the ocean, to generate electricity for the local community. A bit of Googling and I found something along these lines already happening in Melbourne; http://www.greenpower.gov.au/Homes/Common-Questions/~/media/0C3D457D6322447E91611BD4DA2045BE.pdf

It really is amazing, the number of possibilities that open up for our scientists. How many scientists struggle to find work after graduating I wonder. So many scientists find work in the defence industries north of Adelaide (DSTO). But we could be providing so many other opportunities on top of defense research, and building submarines and warships.

Maybe we can use these scientists in other ways, and give Abbott opportunities to invest in worthwhile infrastructure projects based on renewable energy. Hence providing thousands of jobs across a wide range of skills - from science research, engineering to truck drivers and everything in between, providing clean energy for Australia and saving the planet all at the same time.

Abbott want to be remembered as the Infrastructure Prime Minister. If he can just wake up one morning and go "Hallelujah - I have seen the light!". Renewable Infrastructure! Not roads to no-where. Last week I had to help a friend out, taking him the the Royal Adelaide Hospital. It was a Tuesday, about noon. I couldn't find a park anywhere. All I wanted was to drive into one of those multistory car parks. But I got fed up after circling around blocks and finding that the first two were full.

And the week before when I did use one it took an hour to get out of it. And that was just a little two level underground park, next to our Festival Theatre! I wonder how many hours it takes people to get through those horrible one armed ticket gates at the end of a long working day! Driving cars into a city is ridiculous. But that is what Abbott is intent on promoting by the loom of it. Shoving cars up each others backsides, into the middle of the city. What a complete waste of time!

Why doesn't he concentrate on building parking stations, with intelligent systems for getting out of them quickly, in the suburbs, next to high speed bus and train services. Like we have here in Adelaide with our O-Bahn system? And renewable energy projects of course. O-Bahn Busway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

millsy

4x4 Earth Contributer
We are losing industries and jobs at an accelerating rate. Yesterday SA was given the 'badge' as having the largest unemployment rate in the country! Over 7% now! They keep talking about, or used to talk about, Austrlaia being the clever country. Doh. Maybe years ago. If Abbott doesn't re-think his back flip on Gonski, then half of the kids in Australia will be left behind when it comes to a good education. The kids from the poor suburbs. But that's where our struggling migrants and refugees settle. And they are the people with the high work ethic. They know what it is like to be poor. They don't like it, and they are here to better themselves, and Australia too. They bust themselves to use school as a way to climb out of poverty. Give them a fair go Mr Abbott and help make Australia the clever country once more! Invest in our greatest resource, our people.

Invest in brains, not bulldozers and fossil fuels and roads to parking blocks and traffic jams! Invest in the future - renewable energy. Invest in our people. Science and engineers. Hospitals and doctors and nurses. Education - schools and universities and their students. Invest in our people. Don't put the brakes on renewable energy. Stop closing down Australia!

Last edited:

dno67

Every time the libs have sold something off the get us out of debt (selling dirty coal powered generators) they have had to make deals to save the jobs of those employed in the industry thanks to labour and the unions, this has led to limitations on the amount of new clean energy available to joe public (7Kw max in Vic) this has also effected the interest in development here in Aust.
I've been looking at minimizing expenses at home because of the economic climate I'm finding myself in at the moment and unforeseeable future, I'm pretty much capped @ 4.5Kw because of our off shore owned SP oznet and there poor infrastructure. Joy's of living in a first world country I guess. haha

Last edited:

Tappet

Interesting story on the lithium batteries. I was listening to a programme on Radio National a week or so ago. What really got my interest that soon this new Tesla "Giga Factory" in the US will be Manufacturing L-ion batteries on such a scale that the cost will come down right down. With potential large uptake of using L-ion bats for storage in home P.V. systems it may reduce the price even more so that in only a couple years or less it will become viable for the average consumer to go totally off grid. At the moment the cost of the panels is not the problem but the storage.

If anybody thinks that the abolishion of the carbon tax will reduce you electricity bill by any significant margin your deluding yourself. It's a very small component of the massive rises in the past 5 years or so.

millsy

4x4 Earth Contributer
Every time the libs have sold something off the get us out of debt (selling dirty coal powered generators) they have had to make deals to save the jobs of those employed in the industry thanks to labour and the unions, this has led to limitations on the amount of new clean energy available to joe public (7Kw max in Vic) this has also effected the interest in development here in Aust.
I've been looking at minimizing expenses at home because of the economic climate I'm finding myself in at the moment and unforeseeable future, I'm pretty much capped @ 4.5Kw because of our off shore owned SP oznet and there poor infrastructure. Joy's of living in a first world country I guess. haha

I was thinking about those privately owned power stations today. Maybe a plan could be for UAstrlai (the government) to buy some of them back. With fossil fuel power sations really struggling at the moment (our ne Pelican Point gas turbine station has been reduced to about half its production capacity at the momnet, because of the oversupply of power, and the low returns when it is used. They can really only afford to run it when there is a heat wave happening, and there is a power shortage across the nation.

So those private owners might be looking to get out of power stations in Australia, and be willing to take a fire sale price. An opportunity to get these businesses back in OUR hands. That being a whole lot cheaper than building a new power station. In the meantime any profits that are made can be churned into renewable energy technology, and so reduce the amount of money that needs to be borrowed. These power stations, like the modern and efficient Pelican Point one, could be used as the base load back up, as they are now, when the sun and the wind are down.

Just a thought. Maybe a stupid one!

dno67

Mate it don't seem to matter as everything done in this country by the government is either half ar$ed or a compete and utter f%$# up.
They need to get there $hit together for the benefit of the country.

Stupid Flanders

Mate it don't seem to matter as everything done in this country by the government is either half ar$ed or a compete and utter f%$# up.
They need to get there $hit together for the benefit of the country.

Thats the problem with having two parties that are really quite close in their colours and act only to get themselves back in, or stay in.

I may not have liked him but give me a Keating style leader any day!

Tappet

Thats the problem with having two parties that are really quite close in their colours and act only to get themselves back in, or stay in

I differ a little on that. Since being elected the Libs are showing their true colours and drifting further to the right. This is appealing to quite a lot of people. The only good thing to come out of this- It gives some differentiation between the two parties. If this idealogical drift continues who knows where we will end up.:eek:

chris_stoffa

4x4 Earth Contributer
^^^^
Which also means that for many Labor will be seen to be drifting back to , and probably will , toward their roots.

If this idealogical drift continues who knows where that will end up either.:eek::D

millsy

4x4 Earth Contributer
Tappet, very funny on previous comment. But I agree, some good fishers out there!

But from what I have heard your "appealing to quite a lot of people" could also be 'appalling to quite a lot of moderate liberals'. As seen in the polling trends lately.

But part of that trend is probably due to the fence sitters, the middle income families, who are angry about losing their middle class welfare benefits.

If I had to agree with anything that Abbott has done in the budget, I would agree with those cut backs. Howard squandered our mining boom income on tax cuts for the middle class. Now the mining boom is over it makes sense to take those hand outs back again. And many of the middle class, with double income families are buying their huge Mcmansions and paying the bank heaps of interest to do it! Hence the huge bank profit I suppose.

They are sending their kids off to childcare at huge costs too. But a I see a lot of people are asking themselves is it worth it. They are thinking about how their parents managed on a single wage. Thinking about quality of life and quality of family, and spending more time with their children and less time with their boss.

I know this sounds a bit old fashioned, but, as far as unemployment goes, there is a lot to be said for the 'good old days', when families were happy with a single income and a modest house with one garage and one car.

Last edited:

chris_stoffa

4x4 Earth Contributer
Still trying to work out who is baiting who.

So far I reckon its Palmer who is doing a better job of baiting Abbot at the moment, :DShorten just doesnt seem to be up to it and Milne is her usual angry bitter twisted self. :eek:

Does that help Tappet ?;):D

millsy

4x4 Earth Contributer
Shorten is normal. Normal people don't hog the limelight like the Palmers and the Abbotts of the world. He is a fair and reasonable man. If the Austrlaian people want a fair, logical, methodical PM, rather than a fascist, or a coal mining clown, then Shorten is their man.

Palmer, and his Pups ares good for a laugh, and Abbott and his cohort are good for a cry.

chris_stoffa

4x4 Earth Contributer
Shorten is normal. Normal people don't hog the limelight like the Palmers and the Abbotts of the world. He is a fair and reasonable man. If the Austrlaian people want a fair, logical, methodical PM, rather than a fascist, or a coal mining clown, then Shorten is their man.

Palmer, and his Pups ares good for a laugh, and Abbott and his cohort are good for a cry.

Millsy, try living in his electorate............... in 7 years he has done 4/5ths of 5/8ths of SFA for it .:mad:

He is normal all right, a typical normal lazy ba$tard politician who is sitting in safe seat because the moron voters out here haven't got the common sense to throw him out and make him work to gain their vote by doing something that directly benefit his electorate.

Out here we are saddled with the " I vote for de Labor because my Father he vote for the Labor" mentality and as a result Shorten rests on his laurels. If he was as you say, a "fair and reasonable man" then why are some parts of his electorate still considered the $hithole of north west melbourne

Prior to that we had another lazy prick Bob Sercombe , once again didn't do a %#*@% thing for 11 years because the dumbar$se voters keep voting for "de Labor" and Labor didnt have to do a thing and continues to do nothing. You whinge about the unemployment and other issues of Adelaide.............. Try the western burbs of Melbourne

18 years of neglect, inactivity and rhetoric ......................... yep, Shorten fits in with the usual quality of normal the Labor party puts out here ;).

JG at least had the common courtesy to organise a couple of major projects for her electorate in her time in Lalor

Don't try and tell the Western suburbs of Melbourne about Shorten, you only get to see what Shorten and his media crew want you to believe.

Please don't pee down our back and tell us it's raining re Shorten.:mad:

Cheers

Last edited:

dno67

I'd be interesting to hear from any electorate that's had something positive happen
in the last few years ? Lots of media hype and not much action.
Could we burn them all at the stake and get a new lot ?

chris_stoffa

4x4 Earth Contributer
I'd be interesting to hear from any electorate that's had something positive happen
in the last few years ? Lots of media hype and not much action.
Could we burn them all at the stake and get a new lot ?

If Shorten as a potential PM or 2 IC to a potential anything can't organise some major results in his own electorate then what hope for the running of this country.

Some might call pulling major projects into his own electorate as porkbarrelling, I would call it workplace assessment time and at this point he is a fail, he hasn't even passed the site induction yet. :(

Burning is too good for most of them. Shooting them with a ball of their own shyte would be more appropriate ;)

Last edited: