Diff locks for an old pajero?

russell789

so i have an 85 pajero 2.5 diesel and i need diff locks so i can keep moving forwards while in tripod mode..

now all i can find is an air locker for the rear from arb and in their listing they have one for the front but no part number there.. so i'm guessing you can only get the rear.. does anybody know where i can get a front locker of some kind??

cptmud

i belive you can get an auto locker, eg lokka type for the front, 4wd systems have 1 listed

Jarh73

May i ask what your rear diff is like?

If its getting long in the tooth maybe a rear locker is the go?

Just a thought.

Cheers

Justin

russell789

called locktup 4x4 and they got nothing, (i actually called them first as i have dealt with them before and cant recommend them highly enough), and the "lokka" diff lock isnt for the early pajero, so i assume is for 90's models.

my rear diff is still tight (takes a fair bit of effort to make it slip) but that doesnt matter if one of them is in the air.. so a rear locker looks like the only way to go..

Blaknight

Hi, we can get a front locker for our Gen 1 pajero's. The only one we can get is from 4WD Systems. The "Lokka" as you said earlier. However we need to make sure our diff is that of a Gen 1 V6 model with the 8" diff.

So if you can find a V6 Gen 1 grab the front diff, but make sure its still factory, as the ratios and axel splines match up to the 2.6 petrol and 2.5 diesel's.

Another thing, are you sure its an 85 model? The 85 models only came out in the 2.6 Petrol and 2.3 Turbo Diesel. The 2.5 Turbo Diesel was introduced as the ND model Oct 86-Oct 87.

T/case & Final Drive Ratio's

Gen 1

2.3 TD = 4.875, 5.29
2.6 / 2.5 TD = 4.625, 4.875

Axle Data

Gen 1

2.6, 2.3TD, 2.5TD & 2.5TDI (some) :-
front axle = 25 spline, 29mm diameter, diff = 7.25" diameter (low pinion)
rear axle = 28 spline, 30.5mm diameter, diff = 8" diameter

and this is the front diff you want.
3.0V6 :-
front axle = 28 spline, 29mm diameter, diff = 8" diameter (low pinion)

Hope this helps.

Rallyant

Kaiser lockers fit?

I know some of the pajero iO guys are using the gen1 ARB rear locker in the rear, but Kaiser also make rear AND front lockers for the iO, Our rears are interchangeable, But im not sure about the front. I have a front kaiser locker sitting here still waiting to be installed into my iO, if anyones keen id be happy to allow a test fit/ measure up to see if its suitable for your fronts also?

im a little selfish in wanting to know as id like to be able to run a 5.29 seup in my iO! :)

bmurray2250

4x4 Earth Contributer
Looks like ARB has lockers for your model. With the Challenger, I could only ARB lockers that suited the front and rear.

Rallyant

Looks like ARB has lockers for your model. With the Challenger, I could only ARB lockers that suited the front and rear.
ARB has fronts to suit gen 1 pajeros?
OK i just measured the spline of the locker and its 25 - 29mm, same as the front on your gen1 pajeros, so it looks promising.

SuperPaj

Lockers for early pajero

Gday, anyone on here who has personally put a V6 diff (or a later model diff)into a 2.6 or Diesel paj? Would be interested to know how they went and the work involved.

Cheers
Josh

Rallyant

Kaiser lockers will fit.
I can confirm this now as i have just installed gen1 pagero 5.285 gears into my Pajero io.

SuperPaj

cheers mate, whereabouts did you buy your kaiser locker from? Do they have an australian distributor now?

Josh