swags- are the cheapies ok

banshee

If i was looking at buying another double swag it would be this,The BOAB Dome Territory Swag,Easy to set up,Plenty of room to change (plus some women dont like the feeling of the heavy canvas on them)...

350356_325901.jpg

Rays has them:Boab Swag

Good god its a dome tent built like a swag...lol

Got a couple - single "old style" flap over swag had it for about 16 years now and still waterproof (after 2 waterproof sessions)

and then got the missus so went the double, no hoops just tie up the head area to tree car etc, screens and the such...hate it no air flow...if ya going to get one make sure both ends a screened and you have air flow...we cheat now and just stay in the roof top..way more comfy and breezy..

Fishigan

I bought a Darche about 10 years ago, Absolutely love it. I reckon I sleep better in that than I do in my own bed!!
A couple of years old and I accidently broke one of the poles. I rang up Aussie Disposals where I bought it from and asked if they could get me another one at my expense because I broke it. They took my name and number but never got back to me. Found an email address for Darche and explained the situation. They sent me one out the next day free of charge:):)

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Gotta love it when suppliers look after you like that, and I suppose that's one reason why you'd be prepared to pay a bit more.
Actually, I'm in the market for a double swag now, having convinced the missus to give them a go.
Should make camps super fast, but only for when fine weather is a certainty.

I bought the Stockton single from Anaconda a while ago and am very happy with it.

Looking at similar style in doubles, I found these two . . .
($199.50) Bushskins Bushwacker DOUBLE Canvas Swag
($179.50) Sahara Traveller DOUBLE Traditional Swag & Bag

The Bushskins is 6" wider, so would likely go for that for the extra $20 . . . both are free delivery.

But I just Googled Darche, and theirs is here . . . for $279 on special, most likely + some delivery.
Darche Traditional Double swag Online camping equipment - CAMP N' SWAG
It's 16oz cotton canvas vs 14oz for the cheaper 2 above, same 1400mm width as the Bushskins model too.

If looked after, the lighter canvas should be fine, the PVC tub floors should be fairly good wearing, but would likely use a bit of oversize shadcloth underneath as well. Makes for a nice verandah for entering / exiting a swag, and protects from burrs, etc.

Anyway, emailed re the Darche swag delivery cost, so we'll see.

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Just got the new swag delivered, so a quick initial write up and some pics.

Bushskins Bushwacker DOUBLE Canvas Swag
$199.50, ship free.

Carton size 140cm x 27cm x 27cm, GW 11.0kg.
Net weight of swag with the supplied 60mm convaluted foam mattress is 8.8kg.
The mattress has a zip off cover that is washable.

Comes with 6 pegs and a couple of guy ropes, so it can probably be set up in a number of ways.

I added a 2cm convaluted foam topper mattress, and the Anaconda Moondance queen size sleeping bag (yes, I know VERY unfortunate name ! But it's great for couples and pretty warm) . . . rolled up this weighs total 12.8kg and is a good size to throw in the back of the ute.

I will also take (on a Beachport - Robe Xmas / New Year trip) a 4cm Dune double SIM, and a down booster bag in case the missus wants more comfort or gets chilly (likely).

Looks good, it unzips right through the top, one side, and bottom so it can be opened right out to set up bedding easily.
Good mesh insect screen permanently sew in to door opening.
Nice PVC tub floor, much hardier looking than my single Anaconda Dune Stockton swag, which is canvas all the way round, but then I'll use a shadecloth underlay (oversize) to protect anyway, and act as a bit of a floor area to wipe feet etc.

Would have liked it to unzip down both sides and fixed along bottom.
It also would be nice to come with a pole for the front centre, but then I'll use the one I have for single swag this trip, or tie off to roof rack etc.

Ok, will undo it and get it wet a few times in the coming days to season it, and if anything worth writing about from the trip comes up, will post again.

Attachments

• double_swag_1.jpg
    double_swag_1.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 244
  • double_swag_2.jpg
    double_swag_2.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 228
  • double_swag_3.jpg
    double_swag_3.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 276
  • double_swag_4.jpg
    double_swag_4.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 292
  • double_swag_5.jpg
    double_swag_5.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 264
  • double_swag_6.jpg
    double_swag_6.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 287
  • double_swag_7.jpg
    double_swag_7.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 240
  • double_swag_8.jpg
    double_swag_8.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 269

80lover96gxl

Just got the new swag delivered, so a quick initial write up and some pics.

Bushskins Bushwacker DOUBLE Canvas Swag
$199.50, ship free.

Carton size 140cm x 27cm x 27cm, GW 11.0kg.
Net weight of swag with the supplied 60mm convaluted foam mattress is 8.8kg.
The mattress has a zip off cover that is washable.

Comes with 6 pegs and a couple of guy ropes, so it can probably be set up in a number of ways.

I added a 2cm convaluted foam topper mattress, and the Anaconda Moondance queen size sleeping bag (yes, I know VERY unfortunate name ! But it's great for couples and pretty warm) . . . rolled up this weighs total 12.8kg and is a good size to throw in the back of the ute.

I will also take (on a Beachport - Robe Xmas / New Year trip) a 4cm Dune double SIM, and a down booster bag in case the missus wants more comfort or gets chilly (likely).

Looks good, it unzips right through the top, one side, and bottom so it can be opened right out to set up bedding easily.
Good mesh insect screen permanently sew in to door opening.
Nice PVC tub floor, much hardier looking than my single Anaconda Dune Stockton swag, which is canvas all the way round, but then I'll use a shadecloth underlay (oversize) to protect anyway, and act as a bit of a floor area to wipe feet etc.

Would have liked it to unzip down both sides and fixed along bottom.
It also would be nice to come with a pole for the front centre, but then I'll use the one I have for single swag this trip, or tie off to roof rack etc.

Ok, will undo it and get it wet a few times in the coming days to season it, and if anything worth writing about from the trip comes up, will post again.

Sounds like a good purchase mate, the wife and I are looking for a good double swag so thanks for the links.

cheers,
Brian.

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
No probs, yeah best deal I could find, and it's wider than others too.
After using the single in the back of the truck in July, I'm hooked on them.

Gotta convince the missus now :/

ULost2

bit late I guess, but I have only even had a bit of tarp that folded over a bit of form and bedding. My first swag many years ago was a plastic tarp instead of canvas.

If a swag will have limited use I reckon the plastic tarp would do. I do sort of laugh at some of the swags used today, and the prices paid for them.

Have to confess I haven't used mine for quite a while but in my younger days I basically lived in a swag at times. Better in/on a swag than in a hot truck bunk. Driven a few trucks without bunks also.

Yeah; been flooded out of swag and I have never forgotten the night somewhere near Warwick Qld were I woke up totally covered in ice. I was thinking during the night it was a bit cool!! But there is nothing worse than getting into a wet/damp swag lol.

BTW: to keep the dew off have another plastic tarp over the swag does the trick. Just tie it low down on a tree or two or the vehicle.

muc the truck

looking to buy a swag, im looking at the cheapies at annaconda/ rays outdoors etc, only need it when i go away on a boys weekend maybe used 4-5 times per year, would like to know what people have got and any problems that have arised, a mate had a swag not sure which one but the poles snapped everytime he used it, i know you get what you pay for, for the amount of times it will be used i find it hard to justifie $400-$500 on some of the brands out there any feed back would be tops.
cheers

I have spent way too much time away from home (work) sleeping in a swag. I bought a darchie. and worth every cent . Decent mattress and even in psiing down rain i never got wet. as long as the soil can soak the water up . I have purchased swags for the rest of the family and i made the mistake of buying cheap MADE IN CHINE CRUD. they leak and the mattress is like rock on one and thin as hell on the other . YOU MIGHT AS WELL SLEEP ON THE DIRT Its well worth supporting Australian manufactures with a swag because they build them properly . All up i have spent a few years sleeping in my darchie dome swag and its still in good nic. every time i came home it was washed . The mattress is placed inside a bivvy bag( gortex) and if the rain was torrential i climbed inside the bivvy bag with the mattress. woke up in 2 inches of water still bone dry listening to others swearing there heads off.

Last edited: